Essential oils are great for people of all ages, but when using essential oil for babies and children, special precautions should be observed.
Babies and children have an especially sensitive sense of smell. Therapeutic essential oils are very potent and should not be administered around children’s face/nose.
It takes only six weeks for babies to recognize their mother’s scent and distinguish between their mothers and someone else’s undershirt. Fragrance may be the first secret love bond of life, connecting mother and child in a wonderful way.
The value of aromatherapy essential and carrier oils, combined with massage, is enormous. If the correct oils are used in their correct dosage, the benefits are endless as there are no side effects, only advantages.
Children respond very well to aromatherapy and enjoy the sweet fragrances as much as adults do.
If children are hyperactive after attending a birthday party and having loaded themselves with sugar, lavender and other balancing oils which have a calming effect can soothe them. Coughs, colds and runny noses can quickly be treated with the essential oils to prevent further spread of respiratory infections. Eczema, asthma, abdominal cramps and other conditions respond well to the essential oils.
Recommended Essential Oils and Dosages for Infants, Toddlers and Older Children:
Guidelines for Essential oils Suitable for Children and Number of Drops Per age, per ounce of carrier oil for massage or topical application:
- Newborn | 1-2 drops per Ounce of Carrier Roman Chamomile, German Chamomile, Cape Chamomile, Lavender, Mandarin, Blue Yarrow, Vanilla, Helichrysum Italicum, Frankincense
- 2-6 Months |1-3 drops per Ounce of Carrier All of Above plus Mountain Juniper, Neroli, Tea Tree, Manuka, Geranium, Rose Otto, Sandalwood, Palo Santo
- 6-12 Months | 1-4 drops per Ounce of Carrier- All of above plus Palmarosa, Niaouli, Cardamom, Orange, Bergamot (not before going in sun)
- 1-5 Years | 5-8 drops per Ounce of Carrier All of above plus Thyme, Ginger, Lemon, Grapefruit, Ravensara, Coriander, Helichrysum,
- 6-8 Years | 5-10 drops per Ounce of Carrier All of the above plus Marjoriam, Eucalyptus Citriodora, Pine, Myrrh, Peppermint, Spearmint Spikenard, Fennel
- 9-11 Years | 5-12 drops per Ounce of Carrier All of the above plus Cypress, Melissa, Elemi, Ylang Ylang
There are many synthetic oils on the market. Do not use synthetic oils on babies, children or any other person.
Carrier Oils - For Babies & Children
Children benefit therapeutically from essential oils used in their baths, but it is necessary to exercise caution when using essential oils. It is important not to exceed the recommended drops and to add essential oil to a handful of crystal salt, or to 1 oz fatty liquid such as light cream, whole milk or carrier oil before adding to the bath. Never use undiluted essential oils in a child’s bath. The following is a guideline:
Drops for a Bath
Essential Oil Drops Per Age
Some Essential Oil that can be used as Remedies
Formulate in accordance with drops per age and age-appropriate oils:
Important Points to Remember:
References: Aromatherapy for Natural Health and Beauty by Cecilia Salvesen